Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Wood is flying up (?)


I was trying to think of some witty headline for this news and I couldn't. Some Macbeth quote about the woods moving (Birnham woods?) ... my that was a long time ago, O level English lit. probably the last time I read that. Still it must have made an impression.

Any road up, the carpenters are really moving. In a long text message discussion with Matt yesterday evening he tells me they have uprights up and parts of walls, all sorts of timber moving around. He says it is like the biggest Ikea jigsaw ever. Apparently the timber is mostly precut and fits together like a giant puzzle. Sounds fun, but I suppose its the only way to do it quickly. Preform it all while the concrete goes up then piece it all together.

I wonder how long it will take them.

The other interesting factoid Matt discovered is what he called the chamfered protuberance (as it will know be called). Requires a bit of explanation. The plans call for all the concrete to be covered, firstly with insulation and then with either timber panelling or some sort of render. This will make the concrete about 100 mm thicker. So the timber which sits on top of the concrete needs to take this extra dimension into account. Now on Robs Chalet I could never figure out quite how this was intended to happen until i saw the detailed sections through my chalet. Apparently a the timber wall comes down vertically flush with the concrete and where they meet it will have a "chamfered protuberance" to bring the wall out enough to account for the added insulation and cladding. I always though that the chamfered protuberance would be my job to add when even I got round to cladding the out side as there was no chamfered protuberance on Robs chalet. But according to Mat the carpenters have started to place my chamfered protuberance all around the walls where it meets the concrete. Excellent.

I cant wait to see it. I have asked Hervè to send photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.