Thursday, December 07, 2006

No Pain, No Gaine



Just got back from a flying visit to the Chalet. I timed this trip to coincide with a visit from Rob to his chalet. He was getting advise and help from a friendly English electrician, Andy, who is well versed in the ways of French electrics. All was remarkably well with Robs wiring and it could have been a whole lot worse, but basically Rob had wired to a slightly out of date book and the new regulations required some simple changes. That and the gaine. Gaine (pronounced "gain"), yes this strange word is what I was attempting to describe earlier here and I have finally found out its official name. Gaine is the name of the small plastic tubes that the French electricians have to run there new installed cables through. These are the same plastic tubes that were omitted from the building of my chalet. These are very important if you wish to pass the EDF's official inspection (called the consuel) and actually be allowed to connect your power up properly. I am sure they will figure quite prominently in the next few months.

I have learnt quite a lot about the French official attitude to electric installations and, as it happens, they seem to be a darn site safer than the English in this respect.

Well, I have a beautiful chalet which is no where near finished but is just about waterproof and according to Hervè, the windows will be in by Christmas and the tiles and chimney could be in by Easter. Whilst I remain cautiously optimistic, I know how reliable Hervè's time scales have been in the past.

I will upload the photos this evening.

No comments: