Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Some time later ...(part 3)

Right , where did I get to? end of the first week? OK

Sunday was spent emptying years worth of accumulated stuff from the last bedroom and the what will be the last bathroom. Upon doing this I discover a slight problem with the drains. The drains from the shower are leaking and water has spread over the concrete floor of the bathroom damaging some of the things we have stored there. Its not too bad, there is a bed (in pieces) that is probably ruined and some other small items. I set to work taking the drain to pieces and fixing it.
Eventually I have the place cleared and can start on the framing out.

Monday sees the plaster board go on to the framing and the door frame is glued on top of that. Then I can clear the bedroom floor and hoover it to be ready for the insulation. 40mm insulation goes down pretty well and I can start to bring up the 19mm chipboard that forms the floor. After the first couple of pieces I realize I have a bit of a problem. The framing timber I use is 50mm by 70mm and I have put the door on too low. Instead of 70mm high I have put the door in at 50 mm off the concrete which is not high enough to clear the flooring. So the frame has to come out and these frames are not designed top come out once they are glued in place. the glue had gone off and I was pretty lucky to pull the frame off without breaking bits. I lifted up the frame and re stuck it.

:
Tuesday saw the electrics, or at least the gaine and wires go in for the plug sockets. Now I realized another problem. The power for the lights was missing. Where could it come from? In the end I had to break out the skirting in the bedroom next door and feed and other cable from the light switch their down behind the wall out under the skirting, through the insulation out through a hole drilled in the timber under the doort frame, accross the landing and up to the switch in this bedroom. A complicated route that took a while to set up but It will work better than any other ideas which I had at the time including drilling through the concrete into the hot room which would have not been fun!
With the power just about sorted out I could finish the chipboard flooring for the bedroom.

On Wednesday I started on the stairs. The landing was insulated and chipboarded and slowly the stairs down towards the garage started to take shape.
Thursday saw the steps finished:

And although they look a bit wonky in this picture they are reasonably straight in real life.
The chip board was getting very scarce by the time I finished this as I did not want to go down to voirons again and its good to use up all the odds and ends lying about.
Thursday evening we went over to Annemaries place for a bbq.

Friday was spent cleaning up all the dust and rubbish that accumulates. I cleaned and hoovered the floors from top to bottom (all six floors!) and discovered a number of cracked tiles in both the kitchen and the hall. Apparently the severe winter had done a bit more than just break the water supply

Friday evening we had dinner with Rob and early on Saturday we left for the UK.

I am looking to return in October, quite when I am not certain when. I am looking forward to seeing the progress on Annemaries chalet. I think this was a fairly productive 2 weeks although I got off to a rocky start I think we pulled through and ended quite well. The salon is looking good all painted now. The underfloor heating is all in the lights in the salon are in. the kitchen is all trimmed and we are making reasonable progress on the last two rooms.

See you in October.





No comments: