Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sickness and Loss

Spent this weekend in Morzine. Took a flight out on Friday evening and we hired a car to get us to the chalet. Saturday morning I was feeling really unwell. We had eaten this very dodgy suspicious cheese sandwich in the plane and by Saturday it wanted out any way it could. So in between dashing to the toilet^and feeling sorry for my self I put more tiles up in the shower and bathroom. I grouted the shower room. I stuck the tiles down in the hallway and stairs that had some unstuck and replaced the grouting in the kitchen with grey mastic in the hope that it will stop crumbling out and look a little better. I cleared off the wooden kitchen surface and after a light sanding, applied a generous coating of oil that I hope will help keep it pretty. I have stuck down the divider between the tiles and the click clack flooring as it really annoys me when it lifts. I have stuck the trim down a^t the top of the stairs. I went round the laminate flooring in the dining room and stuffed packing foam into the gaps at the edges and then masticed over the gap. The mastic looks a little off colour, more purple than brown but I am hoping it dries a better colour. I got a bit done but I was hampered by being sick and also by a strange disappearance of many of my tools. I searched high and low for several of my favourite tools and cant seem to find them anywhere. My clipper and my wire strippers normally stored in my tool belt appear to have gone walkies along with a red plastic box I used to put wire and cable in. The wire and cable are all over the garage but the box is gone along with some of my tools. Looking forward to our next visit probably in October during half term.

10 comments:

Annemarie said...

Hi,

great to see more posts and pictures, it's looking great! We're off in June to the same thing in St Jean d'Aulps, just outside Morzine. They've started the excavation and foundations, which are massive (28 9m piles and a massive retaining wall) and in May they'll hopefully put up the wooden shell....then we're finishing off everything ourselves. So it's great to read about your experience and we're learning a lot from it! The problem is we've never really done a lot of DIY apart from painting and grouting. Did you, before you started this? Have you got any more great tips?

Regards,

Annemarie (Manchester)

Annemarie said...

Hi,

great to see more posts and pictures, it's looking great! We're off in June to the same thing in St Jean d'Aulps, just outside Morzine. They've started the excavation and foundations, which are massive (28 9m piles and a massive retaining wall) and in May they'll hopefully put up the wooden shell....then we're finishing off everything ourselves. So it's great to read about your experience and we're learning a lot from it! The problem is we've never really done a lot of DIY apart from painting and grouting. Did you, before you started this? Have you got any more great tips?

Regards,

Annemarie (Manchester)

Unknown said...

Annemarie,
Great to hear from you again, no I had no real DIY experience besides some painting and decorating. I read some books and googled a lot! I knew the basics but had never had a chance to put it into practise.
Best of luck with your build! Next time you are in the area, we should try to meet up and show each other round our chalets!

Bentley10 said...

Any more progress on the Chalet?

Its been a while...?

:)

Bentley10 said...

Any more progress on the Chalet?

Its been a while...?

:)

Unknown said...

Yes its been a while. We return in Feb for what may well be a final push. Money is non existant and the job situation is crumbling so we are preparing for the worst.
But i will write it up in Feb.

Annemarie said...

Hi,

oh no that doesn't sound good, sorry to hear that. Let's hope for the best....
We've had more bad news aswell and now really can't afford to pay anymore tradesmen so even have to do the roof ourselves! We're a bit worried about all this....especially the electric wiring. Do you know a good local electrician that speaks English?

David said...

It is great feeling when you get there and finally finish. Your project reminds me so much of what I did with a complete renovation, albeit in a different pat of France. Well a build from only stone walls in reality.
Well done.

Bentley10 said...

Speaking of finally finishing Richard...any news to share with us?

Reading about your project has been one of the things that has kept me going while whiling away the hours at work.... we (your readers) must have satisfaction!!

: )


Andy, Chester.

Bentley10 said...

Speaking of finally finishing Richard...any news to share with us?

Reading about your project has been one of the things that has kept me going while whiling away the hours at work.... we (your readers) must have satisfaction!!

: )


Andy, Chester.