Monday, November 16, 2009

Flooring the Salon


I wanted to get the floor in the salon laid but I knew it was a two person job. My wife volunteered and insisted although I told her it would be cold. Never the less she insisted and so we all found ourselves driving down to Morzine on Friday evening.

We bundled the kids into bed as soon as we got there (at about midnight) we followed pretty soon after and we awoke on Saturday after a not too cold night.

First things first we had to clear the remaining stuff off the salon floor. Then the kids set about trying to find the squeaks. Jumping about in the floor trying to hear when the insulation squeaks. Then my 10 year old would drill down through the floor and into the concrete, hammer a bolt in and tighten it up.

The I could come along and finish tightening the bolt and grind it off so it would not interfere with the flooring.



When the floor was pronounced squeak less by the children we set about sweeping up and giving the floor a final Hoover before laying out the foam backing for the underfloor heating.



Ontop of that went the 12 sections of heating mat, each with two cables that all have to come back to the distribution box and be wired up to the thermostat.



Lots of sticky tape later the heating mats were all stuck down and the wires all taken back towards the distribution box we could start with the actual flooring.



Loads and loads and loads of flooring! We started laying the floor at about 11 in the morning and we finally completed the floor at about 1 in the morning, 14 hours later.



We were both exhausted.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great information on diy flooring, you have helped me alot. Thank you! I have similar tips I would like to share with you as well over at Yovia.com/blogs/diyflooring

Stev e said...

Upstairs looks really good with the flooring down. Good job.

Steve said...

Not sure if my previous comment got posted properly, but good stuff.

Joye Colbeck said...

your an insperation to me ..